Monday, December 12, 2011

Coach-Ability


A man is praying to God.
Man:  “Lord, Is it true that a million years to you are but a second?”
God: “Yes, that is true.”
Man: “Well, then, what is a million dollars to you?”
God: “A million dollars to me is but a penny.”
Man: “Ah, then, Lord, may I have a penny?”
God: “Sure.  Just a second.”

Coaching a person past their constraints is always a matter of coachability.  There are 2 aspects to coachability. 
1.        1.  What is an individuals willingness to learn, to listen, observe, and seek out knowledge?
2.         2.   What is an individuals willingness to change?  


Over the years, I’ve often heard people casually declare goals.

“I want to drop 20 lbs.”
“I want to run a marathon (26.2 miles)”
“I want to be in better shape.”
As we discuss their goals, it becomes clear whether that individual is prepared to learn whatever information I have at my disposal to give them and whether they are ready for change.

Change is difficult.  It’s different than what we are used to.  It’s outside normal activity. It’s uncomfortable.  It’s the undiscovered country.  Yet, it is exactly what our bodies need in order to achieve our goals.  That’s assuming we’re not already at our goal level.  


Change is also the future.  Guess what?  Our lives, as they are today, will never be the way they are again, tomorrow.  We are traveling on an island in a river with our hands in the stream.  Can’t ever touch the same stream twice because it moves by us and changes!  

In order to bring someone closer to their goals, I often have to challenge an individual.  The truth is that whatever they are currently doing is not getting them what they want.  I’m being consulted to help ease them from where their fitness currently lives to where their fitness will be!  I’m a futurist. 
 I find the clients that I’m most connected to are the clients that have affected me, challenged me as much as I’ve ever challenged them.  They forced me to look for an answer that I didn’t have at my fingertips.  They forced me to grow, to change!  

As a personal trainer, It is my responsibility to teach a person how to attain their goals.  I’m often heard saying if I give you a fish I fed you today.  But If I can teach you to fish, I’ve fed you the rest of your life.  Fitness is a lifelong pursuit for me and hopefully for you, my reader.   

Fitness isn’t easy.  But getting started and asking difficult questions is a good way to start.

Mo-Tate.  Motivate your life to motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment